Skip to main content

First Quilt - Swapping Stars

After taking a long arm class last Fall, I quilted 2 quilts in order to get a little practice in. I also gave a top to a friend from the class so she could practice - what a treat to have her hand it back to me so all I had to do was put on the binding!

Swapping Stars was a top that was ready for borders. I had a few extra blocks and decided I'd make a pillow tuck as well - they weren't my best blocks but they are made from some of my favorite fabrics and I decided they weren't THAT bad, particularly since I'm keeping this quilt. 


It's a very bright quilt, made by me and my quilting friends on a Yahoo group as a row robin. I went for a pretty simple block called Swapper's Star from Quilters Cache but I redrafted the instructions since my friends would be making 7 individual blocks instead of strip-piecing several of the same fabrics. I also asked the ladies to do something unusual - set it on point. I drafted instructions for this and they did a terrific job of pulling it all together for me! 

I made one row - 7 blocks - to start it off, then mailed background fabric and instructions to them. In a few months, I had my top back and I knew right away that I was putting lime, pink, and purple borders on this quilt! I had a very small amount of lime left from one of my blocks and so I decided it would go on first in a 1-inch border. Then the hot pink tie-dye as a 2 inch border. And finally the purple/turquoise/silver dots as a 4 inch final border. 


Got my pillow tuck on, and decided on putting a border separating the tuck from the top. This is where the fun really began as I do not like borders, I'm not good at borders. It was getting late at night the night before I was scheduled to quilt. Thankfully I only had to rip this off once before I learned my lesson and pinned it. 

By 3 AM I had all the borders on. Don't say it...I already know. 

About that time, I pressed the top and really looked the backside over. It was shedding horribly, so I spent the next 45 minutes trimming strays so they would not show through the white. Can you see the threads? I've never had a quilt fray this badly. 



By 5 AM I had the backing made and the batting measured & cut. I slept for an hour before I had to get the kids up and get us out the door to school. In order to do my quilting, I have to take a day off from work and rent a long arm (LA) machine from my local quilt shop, Quilt Expressions. They opened at 10 am - perfect! Plenty of time to drop kids at school, run into the office to check my email, and grab a cup of coffee before I headed over. 

This quilt is 111 inches long due to the pillow topper, and 96 inches wide. It took me just under 8 hours to quilt it. 


My friend came to help me pin, saving me about 30 minutes, bless her heart. I used a all-over panto-graph design with flowers and leaves, a bit more complicated than what I'd tried in the past, and quilted it with lime green thread. What else? 


When I get the binding and label on, I'll post a full-size picture of the completed quilt. Until then, it doesn't count in my total, but I  think the hardest part is behind me. I like to hand-stitch down my binding, so I'll be cutting/making it and getting it attached this weekend, so I can start stitching it down in the evenings. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and I'm definitely keeping it. 

Hours to complete top: Unknown, since most of the blocks were done by others
Hours to put on borders: 6
Hours to quilt: 8
Hours to bind: ?

Ready to move on to the next one! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pioneer Braid is quilted!

So we've made it through Spring Break around here - took the whole week off to play with my kiddos and get Pioneer Braid quilted. Happy to say, it went great! My folks came for a few days so I could toddle off to the quilt shop guilt-free! First to decide on setting... Finally decided that the up and down pattern didn't make me too seasick after all. Left the 3 inch strip border on the center row and went with 2 inch strips between the remaining rows. I like how that turned out. Now my original plan was a solid navy border and going to bed before midnight. Around 5 PM I got this wild hair of an idea...piano keys. Now mind you, I still had the backing to prep and I didn't have ANY pre-cut bricks left. I'd literally used every single one I had won in the auction, plus many of my own scraps. You can see my "audition border" for the piano keys at the top - I only made it 10 bricks long, telling myself that if I didn't like it, I'd go back to the s

Binding...my fave!

I'm glad to say that I've got the miles and miles of binding made and attached to the quilt. Now comes the longest part for me: hand-stitching it down. I know, it would be so fast to machine stitch it but I'll be honest here, I really suck at am not good at that. I've practiced on potholders. It's not pretty. Ever. When I have to make a mile of binding, I wind it on a little plastic lid for a needle case. It really helps keep the binding from getting tangled up and I just set it on my lap and flip it over a couple of times every time I stop to adjust the binding I'm feeding. Works like a charm! My dear Juki goes a mile a minute on the straightaway but for the binding I slowed down. Notice I haven't trimmed the quilt all the way to the edge. I do that on purpose. When I'm ready to hand-stitch a section of binding, I trim once I'm ready to fold it over. It has saved me on a couple of occasions when I didn't get the binding attached